Who are the Regional Schools Commissioners?
The National Schools Commissioner and Regional Schools Commissioners (RSCs) work with school leaders to promote and monitor academies and free schools.
The eight RSCs are:
- Sue Baldwin: East of England and North-East London
- Carol Grey (Interim): East Midlands and the Humber
- Vicky Beer: Lancashire and West Yorkshire
- Katherine Cowell: North of England
- Dame Kate Detheridge: South-central England and North-West London
- Claire Burton: South East England and South London
- Hannah Woodhouse: South West England
- Andrew Warren: West Midlands
- And the National Schools Comissioner is Dominic Herrington
Regional Schools Commissioners act on behalf of the Secretary of State for Education and are accountable to the National Schools Commissioner. RSCs work closely with a number of partners, including leaders from the education sector, Ofsted, local authorities and local dioceses.
Each RSC is supported by a headteacher board (HTB). HTBs are made up of experienced academy headteachers and other sector leaders who advise and challenge RSCs on the decisions they make.