Founded in 2012, REAch2 Academy Trust is the largest primary-only academy trust in the country. It is a growing charitable organisation and supports 55 primary academies across England. Reach2 has a wealth of governance experience which it is keen to share as widely as possible and has recently created an open source library of MAT governance materials, which can be adapted to suit your trust. The material is particularly well-suited to MAT boards that want to improve the structure of delegation between the main MAT board and school-level committees or LGBs.
Their website includes resources divided into seven themes including:
- Roles, responsibilities and remits: generic reference points about good governance plus information specific to Reach. Also, covers some key individual roles.
- Committee structures/remits: advice on committees including whether you need any at all, plus some example committee models you may wish to consider.
- Ways of working: very much for each individual LGB to develop but some useful starting points include a code of conduct, examples of Headteacher report formats, a governor visits policy and possible process of staff/parent governor elections.
- Recruiting to your governing body: some top tips and tools for recruiting new governors at LGB level (other than staff/parent governors), plus process and templates for approval of trust-appointed governors.
- Development for governors: Reach2’s CPD offer for governors, information about on-line subscription services from third parties, plus slides packs for their most popular training sessions
- Preparing for Ofsted: information, advice and examples of governors’ prep ahead of an Ofsted inspection
- For reference: glossary, fact sheets about academies, FAQs