By working together, inspirational educationalists and talented business leaders can provide a better future for the next generation. Improving the life chances of young people, particularly the disadvantaged, is critical to the UK’s social and economic success.
The non-executive director role with a multi-academy trust is profoundly rewarding:
- Giving back: helping the next generation on their way up;
- Improve the life chances of young people, particularly those from the most deprived backgrounds;
- Raise standards in schools improves the calibre of school leavers and supports the wider regional economy;
- A role that fits your career and aspirations;
- Gain unparalleled leadership experience utilising your expertise in a completely new sector;
- Gaining company and charity non-executive experience.
The rapid growth in the number of academy trusts has generated exceptional demand from trusts for business leaders to join their boards. Education leaders recognise that they cannot transform standards alone. The demand for non-executive directors ranges from start-ups to the largest trust in England which comprises over 60 schools.
"Everyone should have access to a good education. What do I mean by ‘good’? A good education gives people skills and qualifications, and it instils confidence, along with preparing young people for the challenges of life."
Sir Rod Aldridge, founder and former director of Capita Group, founder of Aldridge Education and Academy Ambassador alumni
Will I make a difference?
Non-executive directors have influence and impact in academies. Their authority is backed by the devolved funding, accountability and control inherent within the academies’ organisational structure.
The Academy Ambassadors 2016-17 cohort will deliver £4.5 million in value measured by time commitment alone, with much greater value delivered in terms of the impact on academies’ costs and performance.
Multi-academy trusts have a clarity of purpose that gives the non-executive director role focus as academies are ‘pure play’ organisations established to raise standards and performance. The non-executive directors introduced on multi-academy trust boards by the Academy Ambassadors Programme have made and continue to make a significant difference to trust performance.