- Change Management
This is an opportunity to contribute to the community within Balham, South London, by becoming a Trustee and Academy Ambassador at Wandle Learning Trust. Board meetings are held at SW12 8JZ when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Wandle Learning Trust was established in December 2017, by Chestnut Grove Academy (secondary), Chesterton Primary and a highly successful Teaching School. The trust is a thriving learning community and constantly looks for opportunities to grow and develop. Ravenstone Primary School and Paxton Primary Academy, have both recently joined the trust, and this year’s Covid-19 challenge has clearly illustrated the big benefits of schools working together in the interests of all pupils. The trust has ambitious plans to expand and hopes that several more schools will join the Trust in the next few years.
The trust believes that the strong partnership between primary and secondary education brings significant advantages and that there are clear benefits for pupils when staff share their expertise and knowledge across the age range. The schools serve very diverse communities in Wandsworth and Thornton Heath and they pride themselves in supporting those communities in order to get the best results for all children.
The trust’s long-term ambition is to become the trusted go-to multiacademy trust in Wandsworth and neighbouring boroughs and, within three years, to be a beacon of excellence for parents, pupils and the school community.
The board seeks one business leader with board level experience in:
- diversity and racial justice
- change management
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Maintain and build on the success of all Trust schools by sharing excellence and continuing to learn from each other.
- Continue to develop sound back office, finance and governance structures as the Trust grows.
- Ensure that schools joining the Trust are properly supported and quickly thrive in the new organisation.
- Support the school leadership at Paxton as it continues its exciting school improvement journey and settles in its new building.
- Ensure the continuation of publicising the success of the Trust, and therefore increase pupil numbers.
- Learn from the lessons of Covid-19 particularly in terms of remote learning.
- Listen to the trust’s diverse community to ensure that our education offer is truly inclusive, and that the trust and Local Academy Committees reflect this in all aspects of their work.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which involves attending six board meetings per year, amounting to 14 hours of work a month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.