Are you a legal/compliance professional looking to make a difference to the education sector by joining an academy trust board? The Thames Learning Trust in Reading seeks one non-executives/director to join its board. Board meetings are held at Reading Girls School when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The Thames Learning Trust was established in 2015, growing from a Single Academy Trust, and is built of two primary schools and two secondary schools across Reading and Slough in Berkshire. The trust is eager to grow and reach a target of between six and eight schools within the next four years. Of the four schools in their portfolio, one was judged as ‘outstanding’ at its last inspection, two are rated as ‘good’. The trust have worked well with the other school and are eager for inspectors to revisit when they expect it to be at least ‘good’. The trust is dedicated to its mission of working in partnership with a strong emphasis on collaboration and quality, reflecting in their motto of ‘Growing Stronger Together’. Their vision is to grow to a medium sized trust and continue to operate its transformational and life-enhancing approach to the education of their pupils.
The board seeks one business leader with board level experience in
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Growth – the trust has an aspiration to grow from four to six/eight schools
- Further improve standards at all the trust’s schools which preparing for further expansion.
- Continue to retain the current sound financial status of the trust despite additional demands.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.
A full trust specification is available here: