- Corporate/charity governance
- Entrepreneurial and business management
- HR (Staffing, Performance management)
Osprey Learning Trust in Devon seeks two non-executives/directors with either HR or Finance experience to join its board. Board meetings are held at TQ14 9HZ when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Osprey Learning Trust is a multi-academy trust composed of four primary academies and one secondary academy in South Devon, providing education for a total of 1,800 pupils, with 250 employees and an operating budget of £9 million. All of the primary academies were judged ‘Good’ by Ofsted at their most recent inspection and the secondary academy as ‘Requires Improvement’ in 2019. The trust serves a largely coastal area and has academies located in a range of very different community contexts, including the most socially and economically deprived. The trust seeks two non-executive directors/trustees with expertise in Human Resources or Finance to drive school improvement and growth and oversee its wholly owned trading company Osprey Educational Services Limited.
The board seeks two business leaders with board level experience in
- Human resources or
- Finance at CFO level or
- Commercial Director/ Entrepreneur/Founder or
- Corporate governance
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- School improvement ensuring consistency of provision across the trust whilst also a level of autonomy to reflect individual school contexts and pupil cohorts.
- Financial sustainability in light of COVID challenges
- Growth plans to serve 2500 pupils by supporting other local schools to improve and ensure all pupils benefit from excellence in learning.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: Osprey Learning Trust Specification January 2021.pdf
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.