Non-executive director/ Trustee role
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Skipton and North Yorkshire? Northern Star Academies Trust seeks a non-executive director/trustee to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at academy trusts throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
An eight-school academy trust operating in Skipton, Harrogate and Keighley, North Yorkshire, Northern Star Academies Trust (NSAT) seeks to recruit one trustee possessing demonstrable skills in the legal profession as it strives to deliver ‘green, relevant and sustainable education’. Board meetings are held in Skipton and also via remote means during the ongoing pandemic.
The board seeks one business leaders with expertise in
- legal and/or
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Growth – expansion of the trust to 12 schools to ensure maximum efficiencies and impact;
- Curriculum - development of a digital curriculum through a blended learning strategy to ensure inclusion across all phases;
- Environmental – ensuring a reduction in carbon footprint through green and sustainable policies and innovative use of the trust’s estate;
- Post-Covid-19 recovery.
In the longer term, the trust has a particular focus, over a five-year timescale, to find new solutions to delivering green, relevant and sustainable education. It aims to do this by optimising its school environments and resources to reduce the carbon impact and by ensuring its curriculum is fit for a rapidly changing world. NSAT also has a major commitment to embracing digital technology to better respond to learners’ needs, inform high quality communication and improve systems and processes.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: Northern Star Academies Trust - FINAL - Oct2020.docx
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.