- Growth Management
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Bristol? North Star Academy Trust seeks two non-executives/directors to join its board. Board meetings will be held virtually or in Henbury, Bristol BS10 7AH.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
North Star Trust is a new academy trust due to open in Spring 2021 to oversee two special schools currently in the Woodway Federation, and the opening of a brand-new Free School in 2022. Both schools were rated by Ofsted as ‘Good’ in 2019. The two existing special schools support pupils with Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) and/or other difficulties or disabilities. 53 – 66% of pupils are Free School Meal recipients (FSM). The federation has a combined budget of 3.8 million pounds. This presents an exciting opportunity for two trustees with branding / marketing, growth / change management or legal / compliance expertise to join the trust board at the point of opening.
The board seeks two business leaders with board level experience in
- Branding/ Marketing or
- Growth Management or
- Legal/ Compliance or
- Non-executive/ Trustee or
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- In the short term, the federation’s leadership team is overseeing the implementation of a recovery curriculum to manage the disruption to pupil progress caused by Covid-19 absences from school.
- In the medium to long term, the trust aspires to operate at full capacity and re-develop the space available in the schools to support a large number of new children through diversification and recruitment of additional specialist staff.
- The federation board and North Star Trust’s shadow board are working with key delivery partners and stakeholders to manage the completion of legal processes and strategic planning processes required to transition the two existing schools and their employees from Local Authority control to academy status via the incorporation and opening of a new charitable company.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: North Star Trust Specification Jan 2021.pdf
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.