- Human Resources
Mercian Educational Trust in Worcestershire seeks two non-executives/directors with skills in HR and Finance to join its board. Board meetings are held at WR14 1GU when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
MET is a multi-academy trust (MAT) comprising four primary schools - Somers Park Primary, which has been Ofsted rated Outstanding; Great Malvern rated as Good; Northleigh CE Primary pending a rating and Dines Green also pending a rating.
Great Malvern and Dines Green have over half of their students receiving Free School Meals (FSM), and these schools have 17% and 25% of their students (respectively) identified as Special Educational Needs or having a Disability (SEND). The remaining two schools have 12% and 13% of students identified as SEND.
The trust was initially formed through a partnership of Somers Park and Great Malvern, welcoming Dines Green during the 2018-2019 academic year, as a sponsored school. It further opened Malvern Vale – a newly-constructed satellite school of Somers Park– to increase its capacity and capability. Currently the trust employs c.198 staff for c.1200 pupils. The trust has a budget of approximately £5m.
The board seeks two business leaders with board level experience in:
- human resources OR
- finance at CFO level
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Adaptation and Recovery - Appropriate and effective action that allows the trust to work through previous and current COVID-19 measures and restrictions.
- High Quality Education:
- Collaboration - Continue to promote support and collaboration throughout the trust to promote and develop high quality education for pupils.
- Contribution - Encouraging all schools to contribute towards the trust curriculum development. Ensure that all schools within the trust give and receive support.
- Targeted Support - Working with the individual schools to provide targeted support that ensures schools receive support in line with their development needs.
- Effective and Efficient - Ensuring that all schools, and therefore the trust, have an appropriate balance of efficient protocols and strategies that stimulate success throughout MET.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available below.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.