- Corporate Governance
- Education (SEND)
- Education Leadership
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Gloucester? Denmark Road High School seeks three non-executives/directors and two members to join its board. Board meetings are held at GL1 3JN when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Denmark Road High School is a Gloucester based Single Academy Trust (SAT) with 150-year history serving secondary aged pupils. In 2019, 95% of pupils achieved grade 5 or above in English and maths GCSEs and made well above average progress. Denmark Road High School currently provides an education for 960 students (including the co-education sixth form), employs 95 members of staff and operates with a budget of £ 4.7m. Denmark was rated Outstanding by Ofsted in 2006. The trust board seeks three non-executive directors/trustees, including a board chair, with expertise in accountancy, executive leadership and SEND. Plus two members.
The board seeks five business leaders with board level experience in
- Executive leadership in a commercial or charitable organization or
- Board Chair or
- Qualified Accountant or
- Education Leadership – SENDco
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Financial governance and management - the trust is working with the Department for Education to ensure a balanced budget as it is operating under a Financial Notice To Improve warning letter.
- Governance – with the addition of a new board chair and other trustees, the trust board has the opportunity to strengthen the quality and effectiveness of governance of the trust.
- Strategic Direction – the school’s strong academic performance presents a future opportunity for growth by working in a formal collaboration with other Gloucestershire schools to expand into a Multi-Academy Trust.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: Denmark Road High School Trust Specification March 2021.pdf
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.