- Corporate Governance
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Canterbury? Barton Court Academy Trust seeks two non-executives/directors to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Serving over 2000 students, Barton Court Academy Trust has an innovative focus across the two secondary schools and has been selected to open a secondary free school on the former Chaucer School site with a view to opening to year seven between 2020-2021. The trust has a budget of £9.8 million and over 15% of students with free school meals and just under 10% have special education needs. Board meetings are held in Canterbury.
The board seeks two business leaders with expertise in
- CFO/Finance/Qualified Accountant/Audit or
- Growth Management or
- Educational Leadership (Secondary Head level or higher) or
- Corporate Governance
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- To improve The Charles Dickens School to an Ofsted graded Good at the next inspection due within two years.
- For Barton Court Grammar School to maintain its Ofsted Outstanding status and continue to attract and retain students to its sixth form.
- To recruit and retain additional senior leaders including an executive layer for future expansion including the free school.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands-off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our alumni network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available here: Barton Court Academy Trust - full trust specification May 2020.pdf
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.